Test Your Savvy on … Food Safety
Determine if the following statements are true or false. The correct answers appear below.
1. You don’t need to wash fruits or vegetables if you don’t eat the skin or peel.
2. The recommended keep time for fresh raw chicken is only a day or two in the refrigerator.
3. It’s OK to store eggs in the door of the fridge for easy access.
4. You can eat products after their “sell by” date.
1. False. Germs on the skin or peel can spread to the inside of the fruit or vegetable when you cut or peel it.
2. True. While raw chicken will only last a day or two in the fridge, it will keep in the freezer indefinitely.
3. False. Store products like eggs on a shelf in the fridge where it’s colder, not the door.
4. True. Food may taste best when purchased before this date, but you can safely consume it afterward. However, never eat food after its “expired by” date.